The Bidjigal people are today commemorated by Bidjigal Reserve which celebrates a section of Darling Mills Creek; a tributary to the Paramatta River which was an important source of water and food. Rock shelters and Caves also lie within the reserve which feature aboriginal rock engravings and a midden that dates back to the earliest human habitation in Sydney.
The first European visitors to the area were led by Governor Phillip in April 1791. They travelled from Parramatta following Aboriginal trails which today are reflected by the main tributaries or Windsor Road and Old Northern Road. Settlement in the area seen general farming practices applied in order to provide stock and food for the colony of workers and growing population. Bushland was cleared for the farming of cattle and sheep and the first orchards were planted over the district to provide a more worthwhile crop. From the 1860s large areas of land from Parramatta to Dural grew predominatly citrus fruit and farmed sheep for wool, being considered one of the main incomes for familes.